maanantai 14. maaliskuuta 2011

Why I want to do Open Source development?

Few words about my background and why I decided to do open source development. No big revelations about making software here, but maybe a familiar story to some of you ;)

I've been doing software for nearly two decades now. It started as a hobby as me and my friends needed helper utilities to play a complex role playing game called Rolemaster (truly a great game by the way! It has had a markable effect on my views of team work).

Anyway I started with Pascal, then got excited about "real" game development and learned assembly and, as the usual gate theory goes, ended up coding in Ansi-C. At the same time I started to work in the IT industry and study CS.

After a couple of years coding C both professionally and as a hobby Java came to an existence and I moved on to that. Strangely, although I coded and did "architecture" work (I'm little bit allergic to that word nowadays) for many years with great enthusiasm I somehow ended up being Agile Software Development Coach. If this came as a some sort of a surprise to my dear reader you are not the only one ;). The best explanation I can come up with has been that I could not and cannot code if I see that it is the utter waste of my time and my client's money.

Due to this coaching work I have had less opportunity to code at work. That's why I've lately spent time learning new languages and frameworks like (ruby, RoR and scala mainly) and trying to find open source projects to participate in.

Currently my main effort is contributing to Jato and Malva.

The reason why I "chose" these is that the creator of this hotspot virtual machine and a hotspot testing harness happens to be my colleague and a friend. They also happen to require both Java and ansi-C knowledge and in the future even more exiting stuff so they turned out to be a really good playground for a generalist like me.

Malva, being basically a core java API compliancy test harness was a really good excuse to get to do tons of unit tests and to have to dwell into the less known parts of the java API. It was also a nice sandbox to learn the open source development process without having too much other pressure.

Jato on the other hand is less than trivial project. Although I did my master's thesis on Java Virtual Machine internals I would still say that I do not know anything about how Jato works and what its architecture is (ask Jato creator Pekka Enberg for that ;). Thus to document my learnings and to communicate with other people interested in OSS or Jato development I plan to blog about my travel into this domain. I expect to learn something about modern Open Source development and maybe even succeed in contributing something useful to this promising project...maybe ;)


Mangrove trees, Daintree rainforest, Australia. Really good in containing tsunami waves, btw

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti